The Vines House

The Vines Home was built sometime in the 1860 by an unknown builder. It is named for Sheriff John M. Vines, a Confederate veteran who once lived in the house. The one-story, five-bay front home is of frame construction with Cypress clapboards, gable roof with plain wide cornice and returns, fluted Doric tetrastyle portico and a rear ell with gable roof. The home is a typical example of the smaller one-story vernacular Greek Revival cottages. The original windows appear to have been replaced in the 1920’s.
John M. Vines (1844-1914) Vines was born in Alabama. It is not known when he came to Jefferson. Records indicate that he joined the W. P. Lane Rangers, (Company B, 1st Regiment of Texas Partisan Rangers) in 1861. He was mustered out on May 20, 1865 with rank of farrier. Vines was one of the Jefferson citizens incarcerated in “The Stockade” by Union occupation troops. Vines served as sheriff-tax collector for Marion County, 1874-1876. In April 1877, he was sent as agent of the State of Texas to bring Abe Rothschild back to Jefferson from
Ohio to stand trial for the murder of “Diamond” Bessie Moore (one of the sensational murder trials of the 19th century.) He later served as the construction superintendent for the Jefferson Federal Courthouse, 1888.
He died on July 4, 1914, and was buried at Oakwood Cemetery.
Carol Harrell is the current owner and is lovingly restoring the home and looks forward to sharing with you during Pilgrimage.

106 Clarksville Street